In a world where living spaces are getting smaller, making the most out of every available space is the ultimate aim. When space-saving is the goal, a Murphy bed can be an excellent solution. Invented by William Murphy, these beds are designed to be stored vertically into a closet or cabinet to free up floor space. Fast forward to today, IKEA, known for its budget-friendly and functional furniture, offers its own iteration of this ingenious invention. Despite the easy-to-use nature of Murphy beds, their installation can prove a tad complex for the first-time assembler. However, with a keen understanding of the assembly manual, precise assembly of the bed frame, testing the functionality of the installed mattress, and implementing the much-needed safety measures, anyone can install an IKEA Murphy bed with ease.
Understanding the Assembly Manual
Understanding the Assembly Manual
1. Download or Locate the Assembly Manual
The first step is to get the assembly manual. This should have been included with your IKEA Murphy Bed, but if you have lost it or it wasn’t included for some reason, you can download the manual from the IKEA website. Simply search for the name or model number of your bed and look for the assembly instructions.
2. Preliminary Reading
Before you start, spend time going through the manual to get a basic understanding of the assembly process. At this point, you are not expected to completely understand every procedure; but it’s recommended to have an overview of what the assembly demands.
3. Recognizing the Parts and Tools
The manual will most likely provide a list or visual guide of all the parts included in the packaging. Make sure you have all the necessary parts and use this guide to familiarize yourself with each part. Lay them out so you can easily identify them later.
The manual should also list any tools you need to assemble the bed. Usually IKEA beds require very basic tools like a hammer and screwdriver, but double-check just in case.
4. Understanding the Diagrams and Symbols
IKEA manuals are known for their simple and clear illustrations. However, IKEA has its own set of symbols which they use consistently throughout their manuals. Be sure to go through these symbols at the beginning of the manual so that you understand what each action is indicating.
5. Looking Into Precautions and Warnings
Ensure you read and understand the safety precautions and warnings listed in the manual. These instructions are there to protect you and your furniture from damage.
6. Step-by-step Procedure
This is the main section of the manual. It will break down the entire assembly process into a series of chronological steps. Follow these steps carefully. Each number or symbol will usually correspond to a specific part or tool. Look out for these details to ensure you’re using the right parts at the right time.
7. Understanding Maintenance Instructions
Lastyl, the manual will also include a section on the care and maintenance of your Murphy Bed. Make sure to read these carefully for tips on how to keep your bed in good condition.
Assembling the Bed Frame
Phase 1: Preparation
First, carefully read through the IKEA manual and ensure all pieces of the Murphy bed frame are present. Cross-reference your components with the manual’s illustration to make sure you have everything you need. Set aside all hardware such as screws and bolts in a container so they won’t get lost. Ensure you have the necessary tools required for the job; typically, these include a power drill, hammer, and a set of Allen wrenches – some of these might be included in your IKEA package.
Phase 2: Wall Mounting
- Locate the studs in your wall where the bed frame will be attached. It is critical that the bed is secured to studs to ensure it can hold the weight without damaging the wall.
- Align the mounting plate (or plates) provided with the bed with these studs.
- With a pencil, mark the locations on the plate where you’ll need to drill holes into the studs.
- Set the plate(s) aside and drill pilot holes at the marked locations. This step will make it easier to drive screws into the studs.
- Realign the mounting plate(s) with the pilot holes and use a power drill to drive screws through the plate and into the studs.
Phase 3: Frame Assembly
- Begin by constructing the bed’s base. It’s typically a box-like structure with an open front where the bed will fold into. Follow IKEA’s instructions for assembling this component from the manual, usually involving bolting together several large panels.
- With the base assembled, attach it to the wall-mounted plate(s). Ensure the base is flush against the wall and level before tightening all screws.
- Assemble the bed support structure. This will vary depending on the exact model, but it will typically include a main frame that the mattress sits on, and perhaps a secondary frame or cross bars for additional support.
- Once the bed support structure is assembled, it can be mounted to the base unit. Follow IKEA’s manual for specific instructions on how to do this.
- Double-check all connections and ensure screws are tightly fastened.
Phase 4: Bed Panel Assembly
- Now you will assemble the front panel of the bed – the part that will be visible when the bed is folded up and hidden away. Again, IKEA’s instructions will guide you through this process.
- This panel typically attaches to the bed support structure and will fold up and out of the way when the bed is in use, and lowers to conceal the bed when not in use.
- Once all components are assembled, check again that everything is level and secure.
Phase 5: Safety Review
Lastl, make sure that every attachment and piece is secured tightly. If the bed wobbles, double-check your work. Any feeling of instability is a sign that something is not correctly installed. It should be strong and steady, ready for a good night’s sleep.
Remember, Murphy beds should always be operated carefully. The bed can come down with some force, so always make sure the area is clear when opening it. Using two hands to lower the bed helps ensure it descends smoothly. Enjoy your new space-saving IKEA Murphy bed!
Installing the Mattress and Testing Functionality
Installing the Mattress
Position Your Bed Correctly: Ensure your bed is facing the correct way so the head is where you want it in relation to your room.
Lift and Position the Mattress: With the help of another person, lift the mattress and gently position it onto the IKEA Murphy bed frame ensuring it fits snugly.
Secure the Mattress: Use any straps, latches, or clips provided by IKEA to secure the mattress to the Murphy bed frame. This will prevent the mattress from slipping when the bed is folded up or unfolded. If there are no straps provided, you might need to get them separately and they are highly recommended for safety.
Testing the Functionality
Testing the Folding Mechanism: After the mattress is installed, slowly lift the bed from the foot of the bed, folding it into the wall or cabinet. Ensure that the mattress and bedding stay in place and that the bed folds up smoothly without any hitches.
Ensure it Locks Properly: When the bed is fully folded up, listen for a click or check visually that the locking mechanism (if any) has secured the bed in place. This feature prevents the bed from unfolding unintentionally.
Testing the Unfolding Mechanism: Gently pull the bed down from the wall or cabinet. Ensure the bed unfolds smoothly and the mattress lies flat without any slippage. Watch out for any difficulty or unusual noise in the process.
Repeat the Process: Fold and unfold the bed several times to ensure reliability.
Review the Installation: Check once again the latches, screws, and other installment parts to ensure they are secure. Make sure there is no movement or wobbling in bed structure when it is being used.
Take Safety Measures: Always ensure the bed is in the upright, locked position when not in use. This will help prevent accidents and prolong the service life of your Murphy bed.
Keep in mind that the Murphy bed must be installed properly for safe use. This includes correctly attaching it to the wall structure, so it doesn’t tip over. If you feel unsure about any of the above steps, it may be best to hire a professional for installation.
Safety Measures for Murphy Bed Installation
Read all instructions provided by IKEA thoroughly and make sure you understand every step before starting the assembly. Make sure all components are in the assembly kit.
- Understand the Instructions:
- Work Area Safety: Always ensure your workspace area is clear, clean and spacious for assembly. Besides, it should be well-lit to avoid any potential hazards.
- Wear Appropriate Clothing:
- Use Appropriate Tools: Use only the tools specified in the IKEA manual for safe and efficient assembly, including gloves to protect your hands.
- Handle Carefully:
Child Safety Measures
- Keep Children Away:
- Educate Children: Teach any children in the home the correct way to use the Murphy bed, including showing them how to properly open and close it.
Wall Securing Instructions
- Attach to Wall:
- Proper Alignment: Ensure the bed is perfectly vertical so the operating mechanisms work as they should, reducing risk of damage or injury.
- Check Strength:
Operating the Mechanism
- Use with Care:
- Close When Not in Use: Keep the bed in the upright position when not in use. This will prevent accidental opening and injuries.
Post Assembly Safety Measures
- Regular Checkups:
- Proper Use and Maintenance: Follow IKEA’s instructions for use and maintenance to prolong the life of the bed and keep it safe to use.
By understanding and following each of these safety measures, you will be able to use your IKEA Murphy bed safely and correctly for a long time.
When a well-established understanding of the IKEA Murphy bed installation process is cultivated, the task of assembly and installation is approachable and manageable. The key to a successful installation lies within the careful understanding of the assembly manual, effective construction of the bed frame, warranting the functionality of the bed system and recognizing the urgency of implementing safety measures. After all, the sophistication of the IKEA Murphy bed system is not just in its space-saving design, but also in the ease of set up when instructions are thoroughly understood. So, fasten those screws tightly, position your mattress comfortably, and rest easy knowing you’ve successfully brought together function and space-conservation in your home with your IKEA Murphy bed.