Having a comfortable and functional living space is essential for our everyday lives, and this is where the versatile IKEA Murphy bed can transform your home. The Murphy bed, a bed that can be stowed away vertically against a wall when not in use, is an excellent solution to save space while providing a comfortable sleeping area. Whether you’re an experienced DIYer or tackling this project for the first time, this guide is designed to help you navigate the process of building an IKEA Murphy bed, from gathering the necessary materials to installing the bed hardware.
Gather Materials & Prepare Area
- Purchase a Murphy bed from IKEA. The most popular options are the IKEA Pax or Kallax series. Choose the size and style of the bed that fits best in your space.
- Purchase a wall bed hardware kit that is compatible with your IKEA bed. The kit should include a frame, pistons, and mounting hardware. Make sure to choose the right size for your bed (twin, full, queen, or king).
- If you want to add storage units or shelves around your Murphy bed, purchase those items from IKEA as well. This could include cabinets, drawers, or side shelves.
- Gather the necessary tools for assembling and installing your Murphy bed. This typically includes a power drill with various drill bits, a screwdriver, a level, a tape measure, a stud finder, a hammer, and an adjustable wrench. You might also need a saw or cutting tool if you need to make any adjustments to the IKEA furniture to fit your space.
- Have safety glasses and work gloves available during assembly and installation.
- Measure the space where your IKEA Murphy bed will be installed and mark the floor, ceiling, and walls using a tape measure, pencil, and a level. Note the location of any electrical outlets, light switches, and other obstacles on the wall.
- Use a stud finder to locate the studs in the wall where your Murphy bed will be installed. Mark the studs’ locations with a pencil to ensure proper support when attaching the bed to the wall.
- Move any furniture, decor, or obstacles out of the area where the bed will be installed. This may include removing or relocating wall-mounted items, artwork, or shelving.
- If you’re adding storage units or shelves around your Murphy bed, assemble them according to the IKEA instructions before installing the wall bed. You’ll need to attach these items to the wall first, so they don’t interfere with the Murphy bed installation.
- Place a drop cloth, cardboard, or other protective material on the floor to prevent any damage during assembly and installation.
Now that you’ve gathered the necessary materials and prepared the area, you’re ready to begin assembling and installing your IKEA Murphy bed! Review the IKEA assembly instructions and the hardware kit’s installation guide before starting to ensure a successful project.
Assemble the IKEA Bed & Wall Unit
Gather Materials and Tools
Before you begin, make sure you have all the necessary tools and materials for assembly. You’ll need the IKEA Murphy bed kit, which should include all the hardware you’ll need for the bed frame and cabinet. You will also need other necessary tools, such as a screwdriver, hammer, drill, level, and measuring tape.
Preparation and Assembly of the Bed Frame
- Lay out all the pieces of the bed frame and hardware on a clean, flat surface. Check the instruction manual to ensure that you have all the required parts.
- Assemble the bed frame according to the IKEA instructions. This will typically involve attaching the metal brackets, struts, and slats to the main bed frame.
- If your IKEA Murphy bed comes with additional storage units, such as bookshelves or cabinets, follow the instructions included with those items to assemble them.
Mount the Wall Anchor Plate
- Determine the location where you want to install the Murphy bed and mark the center point on the wall. Use a stud finder to locate the studs in the wall and position the bed so that the anchor plate will attach to at least one stud.
- Measure the correct height for the anchor plate according to the IKEA instructions and mark the height on the wall.
- Attach the anchor plate to the wall using the provided screws and wall anchors, making sure it is level and secure.
Assemble and Attach the Cabinet
- Follow the IKEA instructions to assemble the cabinet that will house the Murphy bed and any additional storage units.
- With the help of a friend, lift the assembled cabinet and place it over the bed frame, lining up the holes in the cabinet with the holes in the anchor plate.
- Double-check to ensure the cabinet is level and aligned properly with the wall.
- Attach the cabinet to the anchor plate using the provided screws and hardware.
Attach the Bed Frame to the Cabinet
- Follow the IKEA instructions to attach the bed frame to the cabinet. This will typically involve attaching metal brackets and/or hydraulic pistons to the bed frame and cabinet, allowing the bed to fold up and down smoothly.
- Test the bed’s folding mechanism to ensure it operates smoothly and securely. Make adjustments if necessary.
- Inspect the entire assembly to ensure that all screws, brackets, and hardware are tightened and secure.
- Test the bed one more time by folding it up and down. Ensure that the bed and any additional storage units do not wobble or shake when in use.
- Place a mattress on the bed frame to complete your IKEA Murphy bed.
Congratulations! You have successfully built an IKEA Murphy bed that can save space in your home and provide a comfortable sleeping area. Be sure to regularly check and maintain the bed to keep it safe and functional.
Install the Murphy Bed Hardware
Gather Materials and Tools
Before starting the assembly, make sure you’ve got all the necessary tools and materials. Here’s a list to help you get organized:
- Murphy Bed hardware kit (purchased from IKEA or another retailer)
- Flat-pack bed frame (also purchased from IKEA)
- Drill and drill bits
- Stud finder
- Wall anchors
- Measuring tape
- Ladder or step stool (optional)
Find the Wall Studs
- Use a stud finder to locate and mark the wall studs in the area where you want to install the bed. These will provide extra support and stability for your bed.
- Measure the appropriate distance between the wall studs for the specific bed frame you purchased. Make sure these measurements are parallel to the floor and centered in the area where the bed will be.
Assemble the Bed Frame
- Unpack the flat-pack bed frame and lay out all the components.
- Follow the assembly instructions provided by IKEA to put together the bed frame. Assemble the frame with the mechanism that will allow the bed to fold up and down already attached.
- Before moving on, make sure the bed frame is fully assembled and the folding mechanism is in place.
Mount the Hardware
- Place the mounting brackets from the hardware kit in the locations you marked on the wall studs earlier. Make sure the brackets are level, and then mark the screw hole locations with a pencil.
- Drill pilot holes into the wall studs at the marked locations, using the appropriate drill bit size.
- Attach the mounting brackets to the wall studs using screws and wall anchors (if needed).
Attach the Bed Frame
- With the help of a friend or family member, lift the assembled bed frame and position it between the mounting brackets on the wall.
- Attach the bed frame to the mounting brackets with the hardware provided in the kit, making sure the bed frame is level and securely fastened to the wall.
- Test the folding mechanism of the bed frame to ensure it operates smoothly and safely.
Secure the Bed Frame and Adjust the Tension
- Check that all screws and hardware are tight and secure. If necessary, use a level to ensure that the bed frame is still properly aligned and parallel to the floor.
- Adjust the tension of the bed mechanisms (if applicable) according to the manufacturer’s instructions. This will ensure that the bed can be easily lifted and lowered without compromising safety.
Test the Bed Functionality
- Slowly lower the bed frame down onto the floor, ensuring that it moves smoothly and there are no obstructions in its path.
- Raise the bed frame back up, and lock it into place in the upright position. Verify that the locking mechanism is securely engaged and can support the bed’s weight.
Congratulations on installing your IKEA Murphy bed! Following these steps will ensure your bed is safe, secure, and functional. Enjoy the extra space and convenience your new Murphy bed provides, and don’t forget to impress your guests with your handy assembly skills.
By following the steps outlined in this guide, you’ll be well on your way to having an IKEA Murphy bed that not only saves space but also enhances the organization and functionality of your living area. Building an IKEA Murphy bed may seem intimidating at first, but with the right tools, materials, and understanding, you are more than capable of completing this project. Once finished, you’ll have a versatile and stylish addition to your home that will serve you for years to come.